London levels

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

DSC_0731 Joanne and I met in an unconventional way- thrown together by life in a very awkward scenario but instead of the million and one different ways that the situation could have gone (and there are many), we became friends. She's sharp around the edges, quick to offer up solutions, decisive and impatient with slow progress.  In contrast,  I am softer, more contemplative and tend to see most situations through rose-coloured glasses (to a fault, I might add).

She is the yin to my yang.  Life threw both of us a level to balance that day many, many years ago. We've been on it now for a little more than six years and there is no woman I am more proud to have by my side or call a best friend than her.

So it's no surprise that I tend to make a getaway for her any time I need a level to balance. And so we did, talked over bowls of steamed egg and veg, talked over new dishes from weekly menus, talked through a trip to Cambridge and over bowls of pasta and grain bowls.  We ate in direct proportion to the amount of clarity needed.

Full, many pounds heavier, but with that look of recognition in each other that hey, we've got this. We're okay.  It was a good trip.

DSC_0735 DSC_0752 DSC_0743 DSC_0783 DSC_0742

Now on to the other bits of clarity through copious amounts of food inhaled!:  London is teeming with restaurants and this trip we were sad to see some of our most anticipated missing the mark (it's an unbelievably hard venture and I am not envious of the work that goes into it and feel hard-hearted even writing that) , weekly menus that left us feeling confused and unsure and other places that just had us feeling like we spent too much.  BUT,  then a change of pace.  Enter Farmacy (thank you Taurean for this gem!) plant based, vegan, healthy fare.  I would be there every day of the week if I could.

If that cuisine isn't your usual cup of tea- I'd still recommend a try (I can already see the cringe on some of my friends as they read this- but I was converted).  The Mexican bowl, artichoke pizza and tumeric latte to finish were an absolute treat. Filling, guilt-free and delicious. Favourited already.

DSC_0758 DSC_0772 DSC_0778 DSC_0776

A trip to Cambridge at the weekend.  I had been to Oxford on a trip before, adored its history and grounds so when Joanne suggested it's counterpart, it was an easy sell.  She introduced me to the perks of free walking tours and as we were whisked around by a recent PhD graduate of the university, it made me wonder why I wasn't doing this more often.  A sponge to the depth of knowledge that travel brings.  Or simply availing of all that a city can offer.

DSC_0748 DSC_0751 DSC_0730

There really is nothing better than a step away to find that clarity. As tiny as it may be. That level of balance.  As many degrees off from perfect as it may be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

alittlebird All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger